504 Main by Holly Lefevre: Rethink What You're Investing In
twitter facebook instagram bloglovin google plus pinterest youtube

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Rethink What You're Investing In

This week's discussion topic at Rethink What Matters is
RETHINK What You're Investing In
When I first saw this topic, I had two trains of thought.
1- Hubby does the investing. I do the spending. I married a money dude for a reason. {And who wants to talk money these days anyway}.
2- My biggest investment is my kids. I virtually walked away from a thriving wedding planning business to be a mostly stay-at-home mom. I stay up late working {when I do have projects here and there}, so that during the day I can do for them what they need done for them. There is no bigger investment I can make for myself, for my children, and for society than raising capable, respectful, hardworking, and honest individuals.

Then, I realized, that this year, I am also investing in myself. I am rediscovering the things that make me happy - the things not tied to kids or hubby {I realize that if you have read the other posts, some of these revelations have been written about in one form or another, but the topics - many of them- are tied together, at least for me}. I am trying to recapture that girl who wants to be adventurous...who has big dreams and realizes she is not too old to go out and grab them...that my life is not going to end next year when I hit one of the big b'day's - it is just going to get better, because I have been on a journey of investing in myself.

Here is my list of "What I'm Investing In":
1- Exercise - get back on the wagon girl! - like I used to (a few months ago). Find a new sport or activity to try.
2- Clean out the closet - the old clothes and the junk. I like my stuff, but enough already!
3- Implement some sort of better organizational system {I am a disorganized organized person...I know where everything is but no one else does}.
4- Journal to release my feelings and express myself without judgment {non-blog fodder].
5- Continue to improve my eating habits and pass those good habits on to my kiddos.
6- Be better with the $$$$. I like to spend {shh...don't tell hubby...OK, he already knows}...but mainly I treasure hunt these days. Oh, and then there are the sunglasses and shoes and bags and jeans...
7- Do better by the environment - I am pretty darn good, but admit that I get lazy every once in awhile. I want to compost too {not really want...but know it is a good thing}.
8- Believe in my writing and continue to find my voice and the confidence that goes with it.
9- Create and create some more. Over the last few weeks, I have had a new energy DIYing and tablescaping. I love it. Hubby encourages it because he knows how much I love it and how happy it makes me.
10- Allow myself to take time to relax...to watch a movie, to sit and have coffee outside...to make an obstacle course with the kids and do it...to play in the sand...to take a walk, to swing, to scribble with the crayons, and not be afraid that the world is passing me by...that if I do not do "X" today I will never have that chance....that I have blogs to catch up on reading and commenting {yes, I am behind, but I am doing all I can}...that I have posts to write...to remember that I do not have to do anything other than be a responsible parent, wife, adult, and member of society.

That is my list of "investing"...and in the a.m. I am sure I'll realize I missed some things, but as part of investing in myself..it is time to go to bed!

What's on your list? Are you investing in anything?
I want to know! Really!

Go visit Rethink What Matters.
Think about your "Must Haves."
Answer the five questions...
{did I mention there are prizes?}
Then come back next week for some more!
Happy Rethinking!
Rethink What Matters is a campaign by Bare Escentuals that challenges me...challenges all of us to Rethink What Matters. Each Friday through March 26, 2010, Bare Escentuals will pose a new topic for us to consider, to ponder, and to discuss. It is not just about makeup...it is about living your life and what is truly important. So gather your girlfriends...you never know what you'll discover! 

Want to join in on the discussion...
There are prizes and free products to be had..and more importantly thought provoking topics coming your way. Just visit Rethink What Matters to answer 5 simple questions. Then you can see how your answers compare with others. Seriously it takes no time at all to do this...and you may learn a little something about yourself or your friends! And if you are lucky enough to live in San Fransisco, New York, or Chicago the Quickie Van could be coming your way.
DISCLAIMER: So, here's the back story and legal who-ha I must include. I was contacted via email about this campaign and checked it out myself. I thought it was interesting and thought provoking. I was not paid for this review/post or compensated in any way (products or otherwise).

24 comments:

  1. The list of things you're investing in could be mine. All of these things are exactly my plan for this year and other than watching the pennies I'm doing great. I did start well with watching my spending but both my kids birthdays have just been so I never have any spare cash in February. Back on track this month though! I'm glad to say I'm making real progress in all the other areas though!
    Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this. It's so important to have a balance when you stay home. Keep expressing your passions and talents! Why do we feel so guilty when we do this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love reading your 'rethinking' posts. Your investments sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That's quite the list :)
    I've spent the last 20 years investing in my hubby and children, so last year I started blogging and finally investing some time on myself. The "men" are a little confused, but that's ok - they will get used to it.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Holly! I like your goals! I am following you now also... Thanks for following my blog - and yes, I did make that elephant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to get back into the exercise too. It's funny that something that makes us feel so good is so hard to keep doing.

    Good luck making progress on your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I relate to your list- I could probably just cut-and-paste it to my own list of things I should be doing more. Thank you for sharing, and good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can completely relate!

    It's hard for my hubby to see personal investment as anything other than selfishness... if it's ME. If it's him... well, that's different. Right? LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. BTW I love your new layout/header! When did you do it?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post!

    BTW...I have an award waiting for you at my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you! I have been on that journey this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a though provoking post. Had a scary experience last month and it really made me think about where I wanted to be invested! My health, my kids, my husband, myself. All are so important to a happy life full of laughter and love. Thx for sharing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Investing does turn the mind to money...but what am I investing in...

    Myself: my overall health. Time that can be mine and mine alone.

    My family: Bringing us together more...technology is good and bad

    My kids: helping them succeed and doing more creative stuff with them--thanks for the birdy project btw!

    Finances: Learning to save and perhaps...INVEST.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great post...so many times we don't think of investing in ourselves....but we should, because its ok...and its makes us better what what we do!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found you through "Friday Follow" and decided to follow your blog through Google Friend Connect. I look forward to reading more of your posts. Come and visit us when you get a chance! Happy Blog Hopping! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really agree with your list, Holly. I need to start being more serious about my health and exercise on a more regular basis. Oh, and I have such a fascination with shoes and purses. I really MUST stop buying more!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous9:55 AM

    I'm going to copy your list 'cause you've said it so well. Your kiddos are lucky to have ya!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holly! Your blog is exploding. good for you. Great post. I think we need to re-prioritize constantly...sometimes minute by minute. Sounds like you have yours all lined up right.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very awesome! I especially love posts 12, 7 & 9. But mainly 1 and 2 because I feel like that is chicken soup for the soul.... exercise helps everything in your life (I believe it's a mind/body/soul situation when you're in good shape) and a clean closet is just about heaven :) And your hubs invests and you spend? Now I know what to look for in a man when I get close to marriage :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have to say that this post is really making me think. I've invested so much into the kids and husband that sometimes I just forget about me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's great that you are re-discovering what makes you-you! :) Good luck on that journey! Blessings!

    Stopping by from SITS

    ReplyDelete
  22. Many of my investments would be along those same lines. Plus this year I'm going to devote more time to my business. I've spent so many years getting my husbands working...now?....it's my turn. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  23. My list would be very similar. Lately, I seem to lack the motivation to tackle some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great post...so many times we don't think of investing in ourselves..

    Work From Home

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and joining the conversation! I sure hope you come back for more!

blogger template