504 Main by Holly Lefevre: Baked Chili Brie
twitter facebook instagram bloglovin google plus pinterest youtube

Monday, November 2, 2009

Baked Chili Brie



Brie is one of my favorite cheeses...ever. Of course it is delicious chilled, but when the air is crisp, I love a spiced, warm hearty dish, and Baked Chili Brie is perfect for that. The combination of the melted brie and the spices is absolute perfection! Oh yeah...then you serve it with delicious sourdough bread...WINNER! While I love this dish at home, I also find it to be a great dish to take to a friends house or party...the bread bowl is portable and edible...so you never lose a dish. 

In no time at all you can have an amazing appetizer.

I always find it amusing to know where recipes come from, even if it is just, "I found it in a magazine at the doctors office. The page was dog-eared...like it was calling to me!" So, before you get the recipe, you get some history...

I have a crazy Aunt. And, yes, we can all probably claim a crazy aunt, but this one is really something else - I could have my own blog dedicated to her exploits. Whenever I see her (which is not often these days...last I heard she took off back to her VERY BIG homestate after briefly terrorizing us in Cali!) she always has a new recipe to share...one night she made us this great, I mean G-R-E-A-T - little hors d'oeuvres. It is to die for! And it is so easy to make for cooks and non-cooks (seriously, anyone can do this!)

cheese and bread are perfect together

Baked Chili Brie
1 Round of Sourdough Bread (unsliced)
8+ ounces of Brie
1-2 TBLSPN of butter, softened
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Combine spices and set aside.


3. Cut a circle or square in the top of the bread and remove. You can also pull out some of the bread from around the sides..you are basically making a bowl. Slice the bread off the top/lid, so that is is just about 1" +/- thick. You just want it to be a lid.

Sourdough bread is the perfect accompaniment.

4. Spread the butter all around the "bowl" and on the bottom of the lid.
5. Sprinkle the spice mixture all around the inside of the bowl and the lid (where you buttered). Do this liberally.

Bread, butter, and spice!

6. Remove the rind from the brie Place brie inside the "bowl."
7. Sprinkle the top of the brie with any remaining spices.
8. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes (sometimes longer, just until the cheese melts)
Serve it with the bread from the sourdough round, and/or buy an additional baguette or some crackers.

NOTES:
-This can also be made in a 8 x 8 baking dish (if you cannot find or don't feel like hollowing out a sourdough round). Spread/Rub the butter on the sides of the dish and then sprinkle the sides with the spice mixture, leaving some to sprinkle on top of the brie.
-This can be prepared ahead of time. I do everything the night before (if I know I am going to be busy getting ready for a party, etc.) and put it in the refrigerator. I take the loaf out about 30 minutes or so prior to putting it in the oven. Then, toss it in the oven and voila, 30 minutes later...heaven!
-I like to use the wheels of brie for this. They usually fit in the "bowl" perfectly.

Spices, bread and brie make the perfect appetizer.


Signature

This post is written and created at 504 Main by Holly Lefevre

34 comments:

  1. That sounds delish. I love any kind of cob loaf dip, so this is definitely one to try out sooner rather than later. (well actually it might have to be a little later given Brie is on the preggy no no list!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right up my alley! Easy and quick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW this sounds fabulous especially with the holidays coming up! Thanks for sharing I am going to try this out! Plsu it doesn't sound too hard to screw up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!! That looks awesome..great for Brie!! I will be doing this soon!! Have a great day!

    Laura @ My Best Day Ever

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, you are going to make that for us at Snarkler??

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will be delicious during the holidays!!! I can't wait to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are aware that I could live on bread, cheese, chocolate, and wine?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man! That looks and sounds very evil and delish! My kind of treat! Thanks for sharing, I'll be making that for sure.

    Nessa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that looks delicious and is so easy to make. What a great idea to use bread as a bowl! I'm definitely going to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! Yum! Yum! Anything with brie is a winner with me and having it in sourdough just makes it all the better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah yes pinot noir, crisp air and a fire. Love the chili brie! Sounds amazing. xoxo

    SC

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummm Yummm Tummmm. printing as I write. Thank you. Delishy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Copied...printed...on the grocery list to try it out for the holidays. You're the best! Holly at lifelaughlatte.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous7:29 PM

    Brie is one of the few cheeses that I will eat. This recipe looks out of sight! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice pictures, Holly!

    Your aunt sounds like quite a character. I think I'd enjoy meeting her...sound like a lot of interesting material there :) And the brie? Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks amazing! I am definitely going to be trying this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Holly! Thanks for commenting on my Homemade Ketchup post! Wanted to pop on over and share the love! And to my amazement you had a recipe for two of my favorite vices: bread and cheese. I'm definitely going to try this! Thanks and look forward to getting to know you!

    Kelli @ Sustaining Creativity

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Holly! That sounds like something we would love and a nice change from your typical brie.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That sounds AWESOME!
    ***Ally

    ReplyDelete
  20. AWESOME!!!

    YOU'RE TOO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I finally made this tonight and OMG I think I could just dive right into it. It's amazing! I love cheese and bread...way more than cookies or ice cream. This is so good...I'm taking it to a Christmas party in two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks and sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. YUM, I want that right now, I am starving after working out...Good thing I don't have the ingredients in the house, could be very dangerous. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow this looks absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh dear god! I must make that. Or you must invite me over next time you make it. I'm so glad I found your site again. You're like my bloggie soul sister!

    Lovin' you...

    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Come cook for me, Holly! I am going to make this...for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Holly this sounds so super yummy! I love brie! It is just so gooey and perfect! I mean really what's better than bread and melted cheese? HELLO!

    Thanks for SHARING today! :P

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous3:14 AM

    Mmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That sounds sooooooo good!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh man!!!! That looks so good!! I love that it seems so simple to make! :D Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Cheese and bread? Oh man...sinful but gooey ooeey yumminess!!

    I'll have to try this on a day I spend like 5 hours on the elliptical! Mmmm but it will be worth it I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yummy, yummy, yummy!

    Thanks for sharing! I really want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Brie is one of my favorite things in the world. SUrely my favorite cheese. ANd this recipe sounds fantastic. And easy, which is a plus for me! YUM-O!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and joining the conversation! I sure hope you come back for more!

blogger template